This issue was not occurring when I installed 14.04.2, it started to
occur (presumably) after doing apt-get upgrade, or after enabling the
NVIDIA driver (i'm not sure which). The problem persists after updating
xorg using the vivid LTS stack, and after trying newer kernels (ubuntu,
and vanilla).

The problem does not occur under 15.10 (with or without updates).

It that the information you were after? Do I still need to test the
daily?

  monitor goes into power save after boot