I think it's likely we need to involve other packages/projects in this
bug. I'm not sure how Xmir itself could be involved other than here:

Xmir reports the physical display dimensions from Mir through XRandR:

$ xrandr
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1920 x 1200, maximum 32767 x 32767
VGA-0 disconnected
DP-0 disconnected
HDMI-0 disconnected
DP-1 disconnected
HDMI-1 disconnected
DP-2 connected 1920x1200+0+0 520mm x 320mm
   1920x1200@60.0Hz  59.88*+
DP-3 disconnected

However (by design) if you are using non-rootless mode and happen to
resize the root window then those physical display dimensions are
removed. Apparently because the root window no longer relates to a
physical output any more:

$ xrandr
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1612 x 1055, maximum 32767 x 32767

So it's possible that clients like GTK might get confused by the loss of
the display information with which to calculate the output DPI. Just a
wild guess...

  [xmir] Dialogs/fonts are scaled way too big