OK, I think there are actually two separate bugs here.

(1) The display corruption issue was resolved by swapping in an HDMI
cable for the VGA cable.  Still, this worked before so it's a
regression, but not a really horrible one.  I should have been using an
HDMI cable anyway.

(2) The mouse pointer issue is resolved if I restart lightdm.  There are
several open bugs about that and discussions in various fora.

  Lenovo X240 in Dock, bad resolution on logon and no mouse pointer