I have same behaviour on notebook with AMD A4-5000 APU with embedded [AMD/ATI]
Kabini [Radeon HD 8330].
When I press "Log Out ..." button or make screenshot - Xorg starts eating 100%
of one CPU core for long time.
Ctrl-Alt-F1, Ctrl-Alt-F7 pop ups logout selector window immediately. Changing
driver to proprietary fglrx is helped too.
I have tried to install 4.2 kernel with "apt-get install
linux-generic-lts-wily", but it does not helped.
$ uname -a
Linux hp17 4.2.0-23-generic #28~14.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Thu Dec 31 13:40:42 UTC 2015
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

  XServer eats up 100% cpu and is very slow on specific tasks with xfce
  desktop