Actually i had already e-mailed Roland Scheideregger privately (thanking
him for still giving some care to this ancient driver with BE systems
although the commit didn't fix the problems :-).

I already tracked down the breakage that affects me to the (otherwise
very sensible) pythonization of the format stuff around commit
d4c780e052c9cc361bed5958b72b42d8151800c2 <quote>:

mesa: Add python to parse the formats CSV file
The basic concept for the format parser was taken from the format CSV
parser in gallium/auxilliary/util.  However, this one has been altered in a
number of ways:

 * Removed big endian vs. little endian stuff (mesa doesn't need it)
 * Better documentation: Almost every method has a full docstring
 * An actual Swizzle class with methods for composition and inverses
 * Over-all cleaner (in my opinion) implementation and class interactions
 * A few bug fixes

</quote>

Ahhhh, the joys of optimized code-reuse :-)

Since i'm no pythonista i didn't want to wade into it and still use the
10.3 stuff. But maybe that's a hint for the r600g driver and this bug
report.

which is subscribed to mesa in Ubuntu.

  Wrong colors with Mesa 9.2 and Mesa 10.0 on Lubuntu 14.04 PowerPC