I have this problem with two HD monitors plugged into the DVI ports on
the docking port.

I have a 3rd monitor in the VGA port and on login screen - all 4
displays are showing (including laptop) although moving mouse around
does cause some issues.

After logging in - I have two monitors (both HD, in DVI ports), and
laptop/VGA is off.

I fixed my issues simply by removing nvidia-settings (sudo apt-get
--purge remove nvidia-settings) and doing the rest in Display Settings.

When I had nvidia-settings installed, I often had issues:

1. nvidia-settings will only show two detected monitors (in DVI ports)
2. Display Settings will show 4 displayers (VGA and laptop included) however
attempting to change any settings in this cause a lot of problems (ie - it'll
freeze for a period of time, mess up the displays etc. After much pain I
managed to disable laptop and VGA via this and it worked then)

However after I removed nvidia-settings:

Display Settings work just fine and show two monitors only (both DVI)
and work perfectly.

So it appears that nvidia-settings is somehow conflicting with Display
Settings in this particular case. My solution was simply to just
uninstall nvidia-settings and it works.

I hope this works for others - if you could confirm the same thing?

Thanks!

  10de:0dfa Desktop/windows painted incorrectly in dual monitor
  configuration