hey there, *new here* - I had the same problem with Xubuntu 14.04.3
32bit (with external screen) - it appears I discovered a work around(?)
for the issue, see attachments please - also I testet deactivating this
plugin: with

gsettings set org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.cursor active false
did NOT work for me after reboot,

but I kept the "false" setting and made the following changes that seem
to work (attachment), also I am not sure which of these 3 steps made the
issue disappear.

** Attachment added: "work around(?) for xubuntu 14.04.3 invisible mouse
pointer cursor"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-settings-daemon/+bug/1238410/+attachment/4551569/+files/work%20around%20invisible%20mouse%20pointer%20cursor%20xubuntu%2014-04-03.jpg

  Inconsistent cursor visibility with cursor plugin enabled