I have 16.04LTS 64bit Desktop installed on my Dell Precision M4400
laptop which does use NVidia graphics card.  I have an Acer 4K monitor
and am running the 340 series NVidia Linux 64 driver.

This morning the system installed an update, which included the series 4
kernel.

The system boots and enters the X Windows login screen.  After
authenticating the password the system logs in and then immediately
"logs itself back out" returning to the signon screen.  This occurs for
normal user and guest accounts.

Any suggestions for a workaround?

  X server fails to start under regular user in Xenial