Could you share a little technical background on how the BIOS could
affect what seems to be a problem manifested either in X or the Intel
display driver? I'm not saying it couldn't play a role, but it seems
extremely likely that the problem lies in one of those places.

I've been unsuccessful so far in attempts to update the BIOS, as Lenovo
makes this process somewhat more difficult for users without Windows.

The problem happened again today; While moving the cursor from monitor
to another, it disappeared, and now it is only drawn on the external
display. I can still hover/select/click things on the primary display,
but the cursor is not drawn graphically. I would still greatly
appreciate any suggestions for things that I can do when this does
happen which would help narrow down what is happening and lead me closer
to a repro.

  Mouse cursor sometimes becomes invisible