This happened for me on a regular kernel upgrade (to 3.13.0-16-generic
on 14.04). After upgrading, the users could not start their desktop
session, they would be immediately kicked back to the login screen.

Apt-get could not purge the existing fglrx installation, and dpkg could
only remove the packages one at a time using the -f command as some of
the library links were broken (apparently during the upgrade). My first
clue was here in the output from

# apt-get upgrade.

Other packages installed fine, but the fglrx did not. It returned:

Setting up fglrx-updates (2:15.201-0ubuntu0.14.04.1) ...
update-alternatives: warning: forcing reinstallation of alternative
/usr/lib/fglrx/ld.so.conf because link group x86_64-linux-gnu_gl_conf is broken
update-alternatives: warning: forcing reinstallation of alternative
/usr/lib/fglrx/ld.so.conf because link group x86_64-linux-gnu_gl_conf is broken

I attempted to remove and reinstall the proprietary drivers using

# apt-get remove --purge fglrx*

But that resulted in the following:

Purging configuration files for fglrx (2:15.200-0ubuntu1) ...
update-rc.d: /etc/init.d/atieventsd exists during rc.d purge (use -f to force)
dpkg: error processing package fglrx (--purge):
 subprocess installed post-removal script returned error exit status 1
 fglrx

I was able to get things working following the instructions here:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/268749/amd-driver-install-
troubleshooting.

That is, I installed the linux-source, removed the fglrx packages
individually using dpkg. Once this was done I was able to reinstall.
Dpkg -l listed both the fglrx and the fglrx-updates versions, even
though the fglrx-updates packages were the ones being used.

which is subscribed to fglrx-installer in Ubuntu.

  package fglrx (not installed) failed to install/upgrade: subprocess
  installed post-removal script returned error exit status 1