I can confirm that this bug manifests on my Asus G552VW as well.  With
the 4.2.0-30-generic kernel, the ELAN1000:00 trackpad is not recognized
as a trackpad and gets treated as a "evdev pointer catchall" by X.

I also tried last week's 4.4 and 4.5 kernels.  Both of them resulted in
a non-functional trackpad.  With those kernels, elan_i2c recognizes the
device as i2c-ELAN1000:00.  With those kernels, syslog fills with
messages like the following every time I touch the touchpad, and the
touchpad is otherwise unresponsive.

Feb 26 18:37:04 emocean kernel: [  100.759800] elan_i2c i2c-ELAN1000:00:
invalid report id data (1)

Should this, perhaps, be listed as a kernel bug rather than an xserver
bug?

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-input-synaptics in Ubuntu.

  ASUS R556U or  X555UF  , touchpad work but does not recognize two-
  finger-tap as middle mouse button