I'm stuck somewhere in the middle.

a) I have installed Ubuntu natively on my Mac. No OS X installed.
b) I can boot from an external drive. I have OS X 10.11.3. This OS fixes the
BIOS on the fly.
c) I cannot install the BIOS updates that both you or Apple supplies as they
require OS X 10.9.5 (which I haven't).
d) even if I restore a very old backup with 10.8.5, I cannot upgrade to 10.9.5
as it suggests 10.11. immediately.
e) Apple support does not offer suggestions (other than sending it in or
leaving it as it is as 10.11. fixes it implicitly)

So, my BIOS is like it is, cannot be changed.

Any suggestions?

** Changed in: xorg (Ubuntu)

  Xorg freeze