Public bug reported:

I have a Logitech T650 touch-pad.  Out of the box, this device feels
very poor to use because the HorizHysteresis and VertHysteresis settings
are quite high.  It is very difficult to make small movements, and if
you want to move slightly diagonally it is basically impossible.  The
amount of movement on screen that it jumps is several mm on a 27" 1080p
monitor.

It's hard to explain how horrible this is to use, but I would consider
this "high" on the poor usability factor, not just a minor annoyance.

This setting causes movement to be ignored until it reaches the threshold.. it
defaults to 0.5% of the hardwares diagonal size or about "14".  This is
designed to reduce noise on some devices, but I suspect the main issue here is
that this is quite a large trackpad that is also very accurate.  The hardware
area is 2606x2110 which seems to be at least double most laptop trackpads.

Further testing on similar devices would be required, but this default
algorithm may need some tweaking for device size and to scale better.. but
obviously it is hard to know how this will affect other devices.  Otherwise is
there some way to build up a hardware quirks list? Probably not ideal but
better than nothing.

The following significantly improves the feel:
synclient HorizHysteresis=0 VertHysteresis=0

As a side note, the scroll speed is also quite slow which again I
suspect is related to the device being larger than many touch pads.
VertScrollDelta and HorizScrollDelta of -65 work much better than the
default -78 (or +78 for non-natural scrolling)

Neither of these settings can be configured in settings.

** Affects: xserver-xorg-input-synaptics (Ubuntu)

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-input-synaptics in Ubuntu.

  Default Hysteresis causes poor, sticky and jumpy movement on Logitech
  T650