I've mentioned the possibility of a GL 1.x backend before in other bugs
(somewhere...). While it's a fun thought, the problem I recall is that
GL 1.x may not provide any sufficient EGLImage binding extensions (which
we need to get client window contents on screen). Without that you will
forever just see the shell but can't see the client window contents.

which is subscribed to mesa in Ubuntu.

  Unity 8/Mir doesn't load on Intel Pineview graphics