Hello Christopher @penalvch.

> Could you please report this problem through the appropriate channel
by following the instructions verbatim at
http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/Bugs/ ?

I performed part of it. The situation passed the "TroubleShooting" step.
I checked on the bugzilla, visited #nouveau to see if the issue was
known. Found nothing really close.

I'll try to invest more time.

In the meantime I used 15.04 and 15.10 (that I kept on separate
partitions on same machine) and observed that there I had uninstalled
light-locker and replaced it with xscreensaver to work around a freeze-
with-black-screen-on-wakeup issue. Those used nouveau 1.0.11.

So, I went back to 16.04 (which uses nouveau 1.0.12), uninstalled light-
locker and replaced it with xscreensaver.

If there is no more activity on this bug report for a long time, then it
probably means that it is an effective workaround.

  Some glyphs drawn consistently wrong, bug comes and go