Sorry, we should have noticed this earlier...

It appears you have a buggy monitor which reports itself as 16x9cm in
size when plugged in to HDMI. So that's why Unity8 thinks it's a tablet.
Although you also mention in comment #5 that if you connect using DVI
then the dimensions are reported correctly. So you should use DVI as a
workaround if you can.

So we have a hardware bug in the physical monitor, and a software bug in
Unity8. Unity8 is incorrectly assuming that a 16x9cm display must be a
tablet. Actually we can correct this assumption by noticing it's
connected by HDMI and therefore is not a tablet display.

** Package changed: xserver-xorg-video-ati (Ubuntu) => unity8 (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: mir

** Changed in: unity8 (Ubuntu)

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-ati in Ubuntu.

  Desktop PC detected as Phablet