>If I plug in an external HDMI monitor (FHD) either into either HDMI
port (there's one on the machine and there's one available via a usb 3.1
extra adaptor) then the whole system hangs, completely unresponsive and
needing a hard reboot. Before hanging the 2nd display gets an image as
expected, but the laptop's screen flashes randomly, sometimes you see
weird artifacts. Then the hang comes.

Exactly the same happens on my laptop HP ProBook 640 G2 with Intel
driver.

In addition trying to switch tty with ctrl+alt+f{1,7} does not work
either. Hard reboot only helps.

  Plugging HDMI screen in causes system hang