Same problem here. Many people mention as a workaround to delete the
monitors.xml file. However, this workaround is only valid if you want to
use the default resolution at startup. For me it's not possible because
Ubuntu is trying to set a default resolution that is not supported by my
screen. Therefore I MUST have the monitors.xml file to indicate the
screen resolution I want at start-up. And that works. However still the
annoying warning message.

Other workaround mention to add the desired resolution in the
X11/xorg.conf file, but this file was deprecated and creating it to do
this workaround is still more troublesome than having the annoying
warning.

  Ubuntu 15.10 Could not apply the stored configuration for monitors