I found something interesting that may or may not be valuable. From what
I can gather so far, we're dealing with two flicker issues. One affects
only Ubuntu MATE, the other affects regular Ubuntu as well. For me, I've
been able to work around the problem in Ubuntu MATE by disabling
tlp.service and rebooting. After I do this, I no longer deal with any
flickering at all whatsoever. This work around won't work for everyone,
but if you are hitting the bug in Ubuntu MATE (since Ubuntu MATE
features tlp.service by default) this may work for you.

Even though disabling tlp.service fixes it for me, this is still a
kernel bug, because I can also fix this issue by side-loading an
unsupported kernel without disabling tlp.service and that fixes it too.
For whatever reason, tlp.service is triggering something in the kernel
causing a flicker.

  Screen flickering in Intel i915 driver