I'm experiencing a strange problem on a freshly installed 16.04  Lubuntu
(64bit). I could not yet localize the problem with debugging, therefore
it's difficult to assign it to a particular package.

For some reason the screen get's black and dead in an early state of the
login process, but it seems to be rather a coincidence and some
network/timing problem.

The problem does not occur, if I boot the machine in maintenance mode,
just take care to  have the network up and running, and then proceed.
Smells like some timing problem with the boot process (our DHCP server
has a significant delay due to our switching infrastructure).

1) Freshly installed 16.04 Lubuntu. Worked without problems.

2) ran puppet to install a big heap of regular packages, applications, etc. and
then ran into the problem, that after entering the password in the login screen
the machine showed the desktop background image for just about a second, then
the screen turned black, the monitor noticed loss of signal, and the machine
hung. Needed reboot.

Reproducable, happend every time, even in the guest account.

I tried to strace the lightdm session (and hoped to find the output
after reboot), but did not get that far in the progress of the session
to find any useful hints.

3) I therefore bootet into the maintenance root shell in order to connect a
second machine as a debugging terminal over the network, but Network Manager
did not have managed to get the network up. I removed NM and configured
/etc/network/interfaces the old fashioned way.

Then found, that the package  ubuntu-fan  keeps network configuration
from suceeding, because it always fails. Removed ubuntu-fan, and network
worked well.

To my surprise, the desktop then worked without problems *once*.

4) If I boot the machine now, it crashes even earlier, bevor logging in, but
not if I have the maintenance Session before.

So my guess is that something in the session goes terribly wrong if and only if
the network is not properly up in running.

Sorry for not beeing more precise, I'll mention as soon as I find more.

** Affects: xorg-server (Ubuntu)

** Tags: bot-comment
--
System crashes after login