I had the same bug with 15.10. I used xubuntu, with awesome instead of
xfce. None of the solutions here worked.

When I had an external screen connected, the other screen would not
crash, and by going to arandr, unchecking then re-checking my main
screen would bring it back. When the screen is black, there are signs
that everything still behaves as if there was a working screen.

I reverted to 14.04 and all was fine, and now I upgraded to 16.04, and
am using xubuntu with xfce. The bug is back, and pretty frequent, but I
don't seem to see how to reproduce it (sometimes I'm just reading
something and it crashes). I disabled SNA again, maybe this time it will
work ?

I don't get how this is not a more urgent bug.

  Intel driver crashes on Ubuntu 15.10