** Description changed:

  I did a fresh install of ubuntu 16.04 on my old dell computer in which
  there is an ati radeon X1300 graphics card.

   Whenever the screen turns off due to inactivity, it cannot be woken up
  by moving the mouse or by hitting a key.

- The same ubuntu 16.04 installed on a laptop with intel graphics card
- doesn't show this problem, so I first guessed it was related to the
- radeon driver. But as there is no problem waking the screen when I type
- "xset -display :0.0 dpms force off" in a terminal, it looks like the
- radeon driver is not the culprit.
+ When I kill the Xorg process via ssh with another computer, the screen
+ then comes to life again and I can log back in.

- Oddly enough, invoking :
-  gnome-screensaver-command -a
- in a terminal turns my screen off and after typing this line, the screen can
be woken up by moving the mouse or by hitting a key. I'm confused. It seems not
related to gnome-screensaver, but rather to the way ubuntu turns the screen off.
+ When I remove the graphic card from the computer and use the built in
+ graphic card instead, the bug doesn't occur. So I guess it is related to
+ the radeon driver.
+
+ Oddly enough, there is no problem waking the screen when I type "xset
+ -display :0.0 dpms force off" in a terminal. Moreover typing gnome-
+ screensaver-command -a in a terminal turns my screen off and after
+ typing this line, the screen can be woken up by moving the mouse or by
+ hitting a key. I'm confused.

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-ati in Ubuntu.

  screen cannot be turned back on after being switched off after some
  time of inactivity