First of all, thank you for your fast response! It is amazing!

Yes, there was a question about secure boot, but - just as other users
who experienced the same problem - I was not aware about the significant
change in the handling of secure boot and the consequences thereof.
Formerly Ubuntu worked with secure boot enabled, hence I saw no reason
to disable it. There was some explanation about 3rd-Party-modules on
that dialog, yes, but because I do not use any other sources other than
those provided by Ubuntu, I didn't feel concerned. Maybe the German
translation is even more misleading (however I do not recall the exact
wording of the dialog on upgrade), because the section in the control
panel is called "Zusätzlich Treiber" and it mentions "Proprietäre
Treiber" in the text in the control panel, but not 3rd Party Software,
what I think was the term used on the upgrade dialog (though I am not
quite sure about that). And since everything worked when I selected the
older Kernel 4.2.0-35 I did not think about this at all any longer :-(
and it took quite a while to figure out the reason of the problem...

If those modules get signed automatically in the future, this will help
a lot... Maybe meanwhile the Dialog on Upgrade could be made a little
bit more clear about the problems and that those using nvidia drivers
will not be able to log in after upgrade?

I uninstalled nvidia, booted with secure boot enabled and installed
nvidia again (using the control panel -> "Zusätzliche Treiber" =
"additional drivers"), but there was no message about secure boot there.
After reboot I couldn't log in again as expected.

For me it is ok now that I know the reason. But I think a lot of people
might run into severe troubles...

  Regression: Kernel Update in 16.04 from last days renders nvidia
  driver unusable