The open source AMD drivers are not a solution; I was obliged to switch
to proprietary drivers because X/lightdm kept crashing on startup
leaving me only with VTs to trouble shoot. Now with the proprietary
drivers I can't see the VTs.

The open source drivers every once in a while stopped loading the
lightdm greeter. Reinstalling/reconfiguring lightdm and other steps
didn't fix the problem. The /var/log/lightdm logs showed errors
"Segmentation fault" in the x-0.log and "Process xxxx terminated with
signal 6" in the lightdm.log.

My system:

$ uname -a
Linux trustycrucial 3.13.0-85-generic #129-Ubuntu SMP Thu Mar 17 20:50:15 UTC
2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

$ lspci -nn | grep VGA
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
[AMD/ATI] Juniper XT [Radeon HD 5770] [1002:68b8]
02:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
[AMD/ATI] Juniper XT [Radeon HD 5770] [1002:68b8]

which is subscribed to fglrx-installer in Ubuntu.

  When using fglrx module, the virtual consoles are blank and useless