I decided that it is about time to do some serious cleanup.
I found no good guide cleaning to the extend I wanted so I wrote one.

This fixed the issue for me.
If anybody comes by this bug - I hope it might help you as well.

If you, like me installed and uninstalled a lot the following might help you to
clean up.
In my case I had a Server that srated on 12.04 and went through various ppa's
and ups/downs.
For example I once had issues with KDE leading me to round robin
uninstalls/reinstalls/purges.
Eventually I realized that set a lot of things to installed which would be no
more needed or even trigger issues now.
That left me with a lot of crap that affected my otherwise nice new upgrade to
16.04

To clean up and get rid of a lot without really reinstalling I did the
following:

# First I wanted to get rid of old ppas, especially in case they still would
overwrite even the newer packages
ppa-purge "ppaname"

Other than just apt-add-repository -r this also tries to revert to the original
See this for more:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/309966/difference-between-ppa-purge-and-add-apt-repository-r

# Next I got a list of all manual installed packages
comm -23 <(apt-mark showmanual | sort -u) <(gzip -dc
/var/log/installer/initial-status.gz | sed -n 's/^Package: //p' | sort -u) >
manual.txt

# Clean up in this file, remove all packages from this list that you would like
to keep
vim manual.txt

# Then set all these packages from manual to auto installed
while read p; do sudo apt-mark auto ${p}; done <manual-to-remove.txt

This put a lot into the next autoremove, all desktops I ever tried I recognized
a lot of the experiments I did the last years.
But other than hard removing them I could be sure that everything still needed
by dependencies still woudl be fine.

# Now let apt take care of dependencies and do the actual remove
sudo apt-get autoremove

If you are really willing to clean up add --purge to the autoremove - this will
remove all conffiles that are associated.
Be careful if you are unsure if you want to keep anything.

E voila:
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1359 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
After this operation, 3.810 MB disk space will be freed.

That is a lot of crap :-)

Since these days everything just works (I knew from a test with a live
image) I could now cleanly install kubuntu-desktop and was happy again -
yay.

** Changed in: xorg-server (Ubuntu)

  Keyboard/Mouse input dead after upgrade to Xenial