Another datapoint:
After the display is working, I left the computer and returned to the lock
screen.  At the lock screen, the internal display blanked when the cursor was
in the window.  After logging in, the behavior persisted until I opened
unity-control-center->displays and clicked "apply" without changing any
settings.  Sometimes I have to do this twice to solve the screen blanking issue.

  Screen blanks with dual 4k displays when cursor enters built-in
  display