Public bug reported:

A recent update has made it almost impossible to use almost anything on
the desktop without a complete restart of X.

This has only started happening in about the last week.  Prior to that
for the past 3 years, this hasn't been a problem.

Mostly it's all fonts that are missing, but there are also odd
artifacts. I'm not entirely sure where this is a bug (intel driver,
xorg, xfce).

See a screenshot showing all the tray icons and titles on the panel have
no words (e.g. fonts are missing) and notice on the desktop, menu of
leafpad and terminal, all are missing menus and fonts.

No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Release:        16.04
Codename:       xenial

Up to date as of 05 July 2016.

Has starting happening in the last week, and most of the time I'm up to
date with packages daily.

** Affects: xorg-server (Ubuntu)

** Attachment added: "Screenshot_2016-07-05_19-42-20.png"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1599101/+attachment/4695764/+files/Screenshot_2016-07-05_19-42-20.png

** Description changed:

+
+ No LSB modules are available.
+ Distributor ID:       Ubuntu
+ Release:      16.04
+ Codename:     xenial
+
+ Up to date as of 05 July 2016.
+
+ Has starting happening in the last week, and most of the time I'm up to
+ date with packages daily.

  Rendering corrupted after suspend