Just to update I have tried the nomodeset parameter previously (sorry
hadn't put that in the description)

The OS does load and you get visuals but its using the software
rendering and will only allow 800x600 resolution and refuses to change
to anything other than that.

Just to note I have tried the AMDGPU-PRO beta driver v16.30 (just on the
off-chance) since posting, and it does allow you to boot with full
1920x1080 resolution to the logon screen. Attempting to log on either
causes a complete crash or display corruption though.

I will look at the BIOS update in the meantime :)

Any thing else I can do please let me know as this Ubuntu install isn't
doing anything else at the moment so I can play ;)

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu in Ubuntu.

  AMDGPU Black Screen when Booting