I can try to update the BIOS, but given that the BIOS release notes (see
below) don't mention anything regarding this, it's not likely to fix
anything. The issue disappeared for a while, but has returned in the
past month or so; I'm guess a kernel driver update fixed it, then
regressed.

BIOS 1.29 release notes:
[Important updates]
  Nothing.

[New functions or enhancements]
-  Updated Realtek v2.06 PXE rom and v2.016 UNDI driver.

[Problem fixes]
  Nothing.

  Laptop sometimes doesn't detect external monitor when docked