This is the output for kernel 4.6.4-040604-generic (running back on
Ubuntu 16.04, but I guess that shouldn't make any difference if we're
just reading the kernel info):

/sys/class/drm/card0-eDP-1/modes:3840x2160

(There's a bunch of other modes but they are all for the various
resolutions on the HDMI screen).

So it looks like it's just seeing one mode for the laptop screen, the
native resolution. Does that mean it's inventing a bunch of modes anyway
- just not the right ones?

  modeset driver does not detect all screen resolutions