@Christopher M. Penalver: thanks for the tip about apport-collect. I'll
keep that in mind in future bug reports. Hopefully there won't be any.
:)

I'm currently testing kernel 4.6.0-040600rc7-generic ("v4.6-rc7-wily")
and so far (~5 hours of intensive use running several 3D applications
that would easily cause a system freeze / lockup) I haven't experienced
any issue. Looks like the bug is gone on kernel v4.6-rc7-wily.

I'll keep testing this kernel for a bit more (just to make sure the bug
is really gone) and then test kernel 4.7, as suggested by you and Peter
Wu (to check if the bug isn't back on upstream kernel). If everything is
ok, I understand that the next step will be to fully reverse commit
bisect from kernel v4.6-rc7-wily downwardly (towards kernel 4.4.X) in
order to identify the last bad commit followed immediately by the first
good one. Right?

  64-bit XUbuntu 16.04 "Xenial" hybrid graphics (Intel + AMD): AMDGPU
  crashes / freezes / hangs entire system