I have no idea why I had that previous failure. I've since run two more
tests. One was a repeat test beginning with a fresh install of Ubuntu
GNOME 14.04.3 i386 (just like above) and it worked fine. I ran another
test beginning with a fresh install of Ubuntu GNOME 14.04.2 amd64 and it
also worked just fine. I'm going to run one additional test beginning
with 14.04.4 just to be sure, but I think that one failure must have
been a fluke - or something I did wrong.

which is subscribed to xorg-lts-xenial in Ubuntu.

  Ubuntu GNOME Trusty HWE upgrade fails to install libwayland-egl1-mesa-
  lts-xenial