Public bug reported:

When trying to do a PXE install for Ubuntu 16.04 and 16.04.1 server
version, after OS install is complete and the machine reboots the OS
loads into a blank screen instead of a login prompt. The screen stays
blank and does not respond to key or mouse input. If I try Alt + F1-F6,
I am able to open a terminal and see a login prompt.

We do have a workaround for this. I was looking up similar symptoms on
the forums and found issues with NVIDIA drivers and found this
fix:http://askubuntu.com/questions/383636/12-04-3-can-start-only-after-
press-resume-in-rescue-mode-every-boot-proble/391608#391608

I edited the /etc/default/grub file and edited the
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT and added the "nomodeset" to the end at first
and ran update-grub which did not work. I removed the "nomodeset" as
well as the "quiet splash" and updated the grub. After disabling the
boot splash screen and reboot, the OS boots up fine and is working as
expected.

We also found another workaround by adding lines to disable the boot splash
screen in the preseed:
# No boot splash screen.
d-i debian-installer/quiet boolean false
d-i debian-installer/splash boolean false

** Affects: xorg (Ubuntu)

  Ubuntu 16.04 server PXE installs correctly but loads to a blank screen
  instead of login