Christopher:

I downloaded Ubuntu 14.04.1, the oldest version of the 14.04 LTS I could
still find online.  It installed and worked fine, albeit with old
applications.  I then upgraded to the 4.8 kernel per your instructions,
and after doing a sudo reboot the machine simply refused to restart.
The system was so unresponsive that I was unable to capture a screenshot
to send you.  I have reinstalled Mint 17.3 MATE and consider myself
finished with this issue. Kernels newer than 4.2.x do not work on my
machine.  By the way, the reason I went to Mint was because I like the
MATE or the XFCE DEs better than Unity, and the Xubuntu and MATE Ubuntu
flavors are not supported as long as 2019.  I will likely have to buy a
new machine when Mint 17.3 ceases to be supported, but I have time.
Meanwhile, I have fairly new apps and a stable system.  Thanks for your
efforts, anyway.

RD

  Blurred images with kernels after 4.2.x