Hi, and thanks for looking in to this. It's been a "while" so i had to
pull some information from a post I made at the ubuntu forum.
Quote:

I looked in the log-file and found a lot of references to Nouveau (My
god thats hard to spell/remember!). Some how i have overlooked Ubuntu
has changed back to Nouveau when I installed a 4.6 Kernel (I dont
understand how since usually it fails when installing the headers. My
guess is this time I installed the new Kernel before the Nvidia
driver). I reinstalled the Nvidia driver and broke my system (It loaded
the log-in screen over and over after logging in, most of you have seen
this i think). Switched to TTY and purged the kernel (4.6) and nvidia
drivers. Rebooted and installed a 4.5 kernel then Nvidia drivers (361)
and now everything works.

I then switched back to Nouveau and the same problem reappeared! So the
problem is Nouveau
PS: Ubuntu should really make it easier to report bugs, i just gave
up... got the run aroundobviously I have overcome my Ignorance with apport.
Hope this helps.
Best regards
Anders
On lø., 2016-09-03 at 14:05 +0000, Christopher M. Penalver wrote:
> Anders Magnus Andersen, thank you for reporting this and helping make
> Ubuntu better.
>
> To clarify, does this issue happen both with or without the
> proprietary
> nvidia drivers installed?
>
> ** Changed in: xserver-xorg-video-nouveau (Ubuntu)
>
> ** Changed in: xserver-xorg-video-nouveau (Ubuntu)

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-nouveau in Ubuntu.

  Fails to power off monitor when locking screen