This bug just hit me: Ubuntu 14.04 (up-to-date), Thunderbird 45.0, E(G
10.3.2.  Other applications using EOG fail also.  Issues message saying
signature 0x89 0x50 isn't vald JPEG signature.  The filename has .jpg
extension.  These pictures (there are four) display correctly on both my
andrioid phones and on my daughter's android phones.  She says it won't
open on her Linux laptop, however.

A copy of one of the JPEG files is attached.

** Attachment added: "20160219_170300.jpg"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-intel/+bug/935584/+attachment/4737898/+files/20160219_170300.jpg

  gnome image viewer (eog) shows only black for certain images