I managed to reproduce it once trying to move from the on-laptop miniDP
connector to the dock's full-size DP connector -- then I had a black
background (well, no backgound) and the window trails.

It looks to me like an issue in compiz, but it might really be X. In
doubt, I'm not going to change this and let someone more knowledgeable
than me investigate this further.

If anything needs to be attempted, my X230 doesn't ever run anything
important (I use it for running installer tests, etc.), so I can do
further testing (and reinstalls).

** Changed in: xorg (Ubuntu)

  No X on boot with external monitor connected