I have tried the daily-current, and I could not reproduce the bug by
running it for 20 hours, and usually I can trigger the bug within an
hour.

But, I could get the livecd to match my current setup exactly. For one
thing it uses unity and not gnome-shell, and I can't install things
temporarily with apt-get. So I had to use a statically compiled chromium
instead of google chrome.

I have found two ways of triggering the bug, and it is still there on
"Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS", and that is by letting one of these two links run
for a long time in google chrome.

http://xkcd.com/1663/
 or
https://vicandblood.itch.io/dopesmoker

And it only happens with Chrome and not Firefox.

  One of my two graphics cards has started to freeze the screen