Public bug reported:

Ubuntu 16.10.
Pressing any of the pad buttons on my Intuos3 makes clicking stop working, both
in the wacom pen as well as in an ordinary usb-mouse. (All left-, middle-,
right-click stops working).

First click of a pad button gives a left down-click which I can only get
out of by pressing Esc. following presses does nothing. Only solution is
to reboot.

libwacom should be latest versions.

Rebooting into my old 14.04 installation the tablet works perfectly fine
there so no hardware failure.

I remember having this kind of issue in older distros (like <12.04 or
so) so this feels like a nasty regression.

I have to disable pad buttons with "xinput disable 'Wacom Intuos3 6x11
Pad pad' to be able to use Ubuntu 16.10 at all without risking to break
the whole system when working, but I really need to use the pad buttons
so I need a solution.

** Affects: libwacom (Ubuntu)

which is subscribed to libwacom in Ubuntu.

  Wacom Intuos3 pad buttons breaks mouseclicking