Public bug reported:

Release : Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS
Package Version : 367.57-0ubuntu0.14.04.1

nvidia graphics drivers version 367.57-0ubuntu0.14.04.1 was published 2
days ago on 11/3 (  https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-
graphics-drivers-367/367.57-0ubuntu0.14.04.1 ). I installed the update
on 11/4 (see apt log below). Today on 11/5 I rebooted my machine. Upon
booting when the graphical UI is launched the screen is black. I knew
that though I had no display I was at the graphical login prompt as I
heard the ubuntu sound that's played when the login prompt is presented.
I rebooted into an older kernel version and got the graphical UI to
render such that I could log in. Upon logging in (as myself or as guest)
an error message was flashed and I'm returned to the login prompt. In
looking at /var/log/syslog each time this happens I'm getting the error

    gnome-session[4575]: CRITICAL: We failed, but the fail whale is
dead. Sorry....

After attempting other fixes I found the fix. I removed the nvidia
drivers from the command line with

    apt-get remove --purge nvidia*

This resolved the problem. I then went into the graphical proprietary
drivers UI and selected nvidia 367 which re-installed nvidia drivers
367.57-0ubuntu0.14.04.1 I rebooted and the black screen occurred again.
At this point the cause/effect of the nvidia drivers was apparent. I
again removed all nvidia drivers with the apt-get remove line above. I
rebooted and again my system works correctly.

Expected results : To be able to log into Ubuntu after accepting the upgraded
nvidia drivers
Actual results : The new version of nvidia drivers prevents the display from
working or gnome-session from working.

I'm happy to provide any additional diagnostic information that anyone
would like, just ask for files or for me to run commands and get you
output.

** Affects: nvidia-graphics-drivers (Ubuntu)

which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers in Ubuntu.

  nvidia graphics drivers 367.57-0ubuntu0.14.04.1 prevents gnome from
  launching