Found inspiration for a work-around on this page:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/475972/error-couldnt-find-rgb-glx-visual-
or-fbconfig-ubuntu-12-04/476916#476916

This is NOT TRIVIAL.  I started by trying to follow that page's
recommendations, replacing "xserver-xorg" with "xserver-common", and
BORKED X entirely, to the point where I couldn't use the keyboard or see
things on the screen.  Fortunately I was able to ssh into the system.

I did a lot of mucking about, but what will probably work is:

sudo apt-get remove --purge xserver-common
sudo apt-get install xorg

I do NOT recommend this if you're shy around computers, or if you don't
have a reliable way to ssh into your sick box.  I'm sure there's a very-
much-better way of solving the problem, but I'm not good enough to know
it.

** Also affects: xorg-server (Ubuntu)

  OpenGL Graphics broken on November 4th upgrades