Hi,

Have a similar issue here, I can no longer use my Blender, FreeCAD and OpenSCAD.
I do not get the black screen but Blender and FreeCAD crash and OpenSCAD will
not display the model.
Running Lubuntu 16.04 with the Nvidia Driver 304.132

Perhaps something about my configuration will be helpful with the
troubleshooting.

Have a second Lubuntu 16.04 computer that is not using the Nvidia Driver
and Blender runs fine on it.

which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers-304 in Ubuntu.

  gnome3 has black screen after upgrade: 304.131-0ubuntu0.14.04.2,
  304.132-0ubuntu0.14.04.2