I am using the newly released 4.9, but the same "feature"was present in
the previous rcX versions:

uname -a
Linux nbbag7 4.9.0-040900-generic #201612111631 SMP Sun Dec 11 21:33:00 UTC
2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

BTW,I am noticing now that tapping with a single finger on the lower-
right part of the trackpad is equivalent of a right-click.

So it seems that there are some default gestures on the upper/lower-right part
that are not understood by the current driver and are enabled by default.
I don't know if this can be considered a bug

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-input-synaptics in Ubuntu.

  Touchpad not recognized on Dell Latitude E7470 Ultrabook