I met with the same bug in Ubuntu 16.04.1 (amd64): 2 NVIDIA adapters with DVI
and HDMI connectors on each of them, 4 identical Samsung monitors, 4th monitor
is dead, 3rd is sometimes garbled, sometimes is OK. All the error messages
described by Martin are the same.
Luckily in #2 he provided the method which cures the bug with ATI cards in
Fedora. I decided to try it with Nouveau driver in Ubuntu and it worked!
I downloaded the sources using 'apt-get source xserver-xorg-video-nouveau',
found the string in drmmode_display.c which checks whether HAS_DIRTYTRACKING2
is defined and fixed it. Then I compiled the driver and replaced
'/usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nouveau_drv.so' with the fixed version. After
reboot all 4 monitors were working on login screen, '~/.config/monitors.xml'
was created properly and all monitors were present when I logged in.
I'm attaching the patch. Maybe the developers will notice it and fix the
Nouveau driver?
(BTW, ATI driver in Ubuntu 16.04 seems already fixed - I checked its sources
and the mentioned string is already in place in drmmode_display.c)

** Patch added: "Fixes improper handling of 3rd and 4th monitors"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg-server/+bug/1597437/+attachment/4802770/+files/nouveau_drv.patch

** Package changed: xorg-server (Ubuntu) => xserver-xorg-video-nouveau
(Ubuntu)

  X with nouveau driver, 2 nvidia cards, 4 monitors, does not use all
  monitors