That's really all I could make out from it, sorry. I'm attaching a
picture in case you can see something I can't. The receipt was not very
helpful, it just says something generic like "Dell Adapter USB 3.0."

I did find the Dell part number: 470-ABHH

Here's a link to the current listing on their website:
http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-adapter-usb-3-0-to-hdmi-vga-
ethernet-usb-2-0/apd/470-abhh/handhelds-tablet-pcs

They give this code for the Manufacturer part: H5G60

But that's as far as I could make it.

I'll try the current version of Ubuntu tomorrow, as promised.

** Attachment added: "DisplayLink adapter picture"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg/+bug/1655828/+attachment/4805594/+files/IMG_20170117_225237.jpg

  Mouse flickers and disappears on primary monitor when additional
  monitor is connected