I am having a nearly identical problem with my P50 and an ASUS external
monitor.

In my case the trails last for a second or two then go away until I move
the mouse again.  I have the same distorted cursor problem.

I've tried connecting with DP and HDMI, using proprietary or community
drivers, purging nvidia drivers and reloading, etc.  By accident I have
discovered that opening the System Settings and going to the Display
settings (just going to them, not doing anything there) fixes it for as
long as the Display settings are open.  As soon as I close Display
settings it comes right back.

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-nouveau in Ubuntu.

  Mouse trails disappear only on window refresh