This has been affecting my installation routines for a number of versions of
Kubuntu now.
I found a workaround that involves temporarily disabling nouveau until nvidia
drivers can be installed:

Boot from the Ubuntu installation media.
When the boot menu appears : Highlight Try Ubuntu without installing and press
the E key.
Add the nouveau.modeset=0 parameter to the end of the linux line ... Then press
F10 to boot.
Having entered the desktop start the installation process, once completed
restart the PC.
Again.
When the GRUB boot menu appears : Highlight the Ubuntu menu entry and press the
E key.
Add the nouveau.modeset=0 parameter to the end of the linux line ... Then press
F10 to boot.
Now install the latest official NVIDIA drivers.

This is a bug that needs to be addressed. Anyone new to *ubuntu who
encounters this would assume that installation is impossible, even using
the Live Disk has become a problem.

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-nouveau in Ubuntu.

  System hangs after some time with nouveau and GT240