I'm on Ubuntu 16.04.3 with mainline kernel

Linux version 4.13.2-041302-generic (kernel@tangerine) (gcc version
7.2.0 (Ubuntu 7.2.0-3ubuntu1)) #201709132057 SMP Thu Sep 14 00:59:32 UTC
2017

and mesa 1:17.3~git170914191100.7ffd4d2~x~padoka0 and X from the Padoka
PPA.

OpenGL renderer string: Radeon RX 580 Series (POLARIS10 / DRM 3.18.0 /
4.13.2-041302-generic, LLVM 6.0.0)

With default VLC configuration (default Ubuntu package) I see the
symptoms Donald describes in #18. While discussing this in #radeon on
Freenode, it was suggested to me to try a different video output driver
in VLC. It turns out it default to "automatic", which is, in this
configuration, VDPAU output. And this causes said problems. Switching to
"OpenGL GLX video output (XCB)" works around the issue.

So this seems to be an issue with VDPAU, but I could not tell on which
end.

Does this workaround (switching to a different video output driver) work
for you, too?

which is subscribed to mesa in Ubuntu.

  playing .mp4 in VLC freezes machine