Thanks a million for the prompt and thorough response!

I'm really newb, so with that in mind, I came up with 3 different
possible ways I can solve this:

1. Can you give me a stupid-simple complete example of mounting and
unmounting a file from cli with a password? The examples I can find are
insufficient. Here's my attempt at usingg the most specific example I
found, from another website, where I'm assuming the file I wanna open is
/home/USERNAME/filename, and my password is Password:

sudo zuluCrypt-cli -o -d /home/USERNAME/filename -m sdc1 -e ro -p
Password

This runs into all kinds of errors, and the documentation is way over
newb level, and none of the examples are actual examples -- like is XXX
password, or a key file, or some other thing? I just need to move from
browsing for the file and entering a password in the gui, to doing the
same with all default settings to mount the same file with the same
password in the cli.

2. How long approximately should we expect to wait for Ubuntu 17.10
Wayland-compatible package?

3. How do I build the git version of zC from source code? I have git
installed, but again, am total newb. For example, I tried to build
gnome-usage from git with tutorials, with both Builder and ninja-build
or something like that, but ran into un-Google-fixable problems both
ways. Sadly, I haven't built gnome-usage to enjoy the main feature that
was promised in GNOME 3.26. I'd need a really newb-friendly or Google-
help-able tutorial to build this from git. The upside is, lots of other
users will be going to 17.10 and could follow the same tutorial.

which is subscribed to xrandr in Ubuntu.

  zuluCrypt doesn't launch