Public bug reported:

Hi,

I am writing this with concerns on the way RAM(memory) is handled by the
same software(VMware Workstation) across different versions of the
Ubuntu OS.

I am however unsure if the concern i am reporting here is actually a Bug
... or ... a feature that has been withdrawn on purpose ... or ... a
feature that's got overlooked from kernel to kernel updates.

How did i stumble upon this issue ?

My primary daily driver OS is Ubuntu 14.04 (ker. 3.13), i use VMware
workstation on this host to run Windows 7 to run my work software which
does not have a linux version. While my VM guest*Windows 7) has been
allocated 8GB of RAM the RAM usage on my Host shows no more than 3-4GB.

I while back i had installed Ubuntu 16.04 on an adjacent partition and
tried running a copy of the exact same VM guest and to my shock saw that
right from boot the entire 8GB of RAM gets blocked on the host system.

What was earlier 3-4 GB of RAM consumption in Ubuntu 14.04 now shot up
to a whopping 10-11GB in Ubuntu 16.04. A HUGE resource hit.

Now i am test driving Deepin OS i find the same resource hit on this OS
too just like the one experienced on Ubuntu 16.04 ... 10-12 GB of RAM is
affected the moment i boot up my vm machine. I am using an exact same
copy from Ubuntu 14.04 to run even here.

What additional test's have i done to probe this issue ?

I have tested this HUGE RESOURCE HIT on the following versions ... I
used the exact same version of VMware Workstation on my test OS's as
well as the latest version of VMware workstation, following are the
findings.

software version tested on ...

VMware Workstation 12.1.0
VMware Workstation 14

OS versions tested on ...

Ubuntu 14.04 (Ker. 3.13)
Ubuntu 15.04 (Ker. 3.19)
Ubuntu 15.10 (Ker. 4.2)

tests on the above OS's show that the memory is efficiently handled and the
overall memory consumption(both Host and Guest VM included)is roughly around 4
GB even though the VM is configured with 8GB of RAM

UbuntuGnome 16.04 (Ker. 4.4)
Deepin 15.4.1 (Ker. 4.9)
UbuntuGnome 17.04 (Ker. 4.10)

However my tests on these OS resulted in a HUGE RESOURCE HIT ... the
overall memory consumption(both Host and Guest VM included) here has
been a WHOPPING 10-12GB.

What proof do you have of this inconsistency ?

I am attaching a screenshot with the memory consumed marked side by
side.

I have Deepin OS 15.4.1(Ker. 4.9) and Ubuntu 14.04(Ker. 3.13) on my system ...
one demonstrating the resource hog i am reporting ... and ... the other
demonstrating the efficient use of system resources.

So if you require any logs or commands to be run out of both this
environments to further probe this resource leakage please let me know
the direct commands and i'll provide the respective outputs to help you
identify the issue.

PS : I am not a geek but rather consider myself as a power user, hence
direct commands to collect additional info out of the 2 environments
would help.

thanks for looking.

** Affects: xserver-xorg-video-vmware (Ubuntu)

** Attachment added: "Memory Resource Hit.png"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1722998/+attachment/4968265/+files/Memory%20Resource%20Hit.png

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-vmware in Ubuntu.

  VMware memory allocation process ... HUGE RESOURCE HIT ?